Saturday, December 22, 2012

Review: Black Diamond FreeWire Quickdraw

Merry Christmas, y'all! In addition to receiving the Black Diamond Momentum SA Harness Package for Christmas, I also got a Black Diamond FreeWire Quickdraw.

Black Diamond FreeWire Quickdraw 
Yep, one. For all of my one-clip routes... Hey, I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. It's better than none! These quickdraws have a couple of merits. First of all, they are cheap. Not in quality; in price. At twelve dollars, these quickdraws are the best bang for your buck that I've come across. I've heard of people buying these just to cannibalize them for their carabiners. They're that cheap.

Black Diamond FreeWire
Quickdraw
In terms of quality, the Black Diamond FreeWire Quickdraw delivers. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but who cares? The construction is solid, and fellow RI contributor Bryce has actually towed a car with one. The jury is still out about whether that's a good idea. The point is that they are strong. I've taken dozens of falls on them. The carabiners are rated to 24 kilonewtons for vertical falls and they have a sturdy wire gate construction with a crisp spring action. The dogbone is rated to 22 kilonewtons and is beefy enough to grab. Not that you would. You're a beast.

My only gripe about this quickdraw is that it's a bit heavier than some of my other quicks. It's not noticeable, but if you're carrying fourteen of them, the weight adds up fast. Just something to consider!

I recommend this product for the cash-strapped among us. If you've got cash and want to upgrade, I'd recommend the Petzl Spirit Express. 

Stay safe.

by Ariel Castro

No comments:

Post a Comment